Thursday 23 April 2020

The Man Who Didn't Call by Rosie Walsh

"Imagine you meet a man, spend seven glorious days together, and fall in love. And it’s mutual: you’ve never been so certain of anything. 

So when he leaves for a long-booked holiday and promises to call from the airport, you have no cause to doubt him. But he doesn’t call.

Your friends tell you to forget him, but you know they’re wrong: something must have happened; there must be a reason for his silence. 

What do you do when you finally discover you’re right? That there is a reason – and that reason is the one thing you didn’t share with each other?The truth."

I read this book last year in Cyprus.  The resort I was staying in had one of those book swap shelves and, once I'd finished the books I'd bought with me, I happily traded them in.  I scoured the shelves for the book that looked most appealing and this drew me in.  The name of the book suggested "light" reading but the caption suggested something a bit mysterious which I liked the sound of.

Through the first few chapters, I considered giving up as I found it a bit slow and I wasn't sure about the main character but I'm glad I didn't.  Immediately before this book, I'd read quite a few crime / thriller books and I think it just took me a while to re-adjust to a different genre.  Whilst some would call this a multi-genre book, I wouldn't classify it as a thriller in the true sense of the word.

After a while though, I found myself keen to find out why Eddie hadn't called and I was surprised by the reason and then became torn as to what I wanted to happen next.  Having got to the end of the book, I realise how many clues were given along the way but I just hadn't connected them.

A good read with a great, unexpected twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! Leave me a comment here: