Saturday 11 April 2020

Molly's Millions by Victoria Connelly

"Hard-up florist Molly Bailey has just won £4.2 million pounds in the National Lottery. And she needs to get rid of it – fast!

Tom Mackenzie is on the verge of losing his job. He needs one hell of a story if he hopes to secure his future in journalism.

With Ebenezer Scrooge for a brother, and a strong belief that sharing her good fortune is the only way forward, Molly unwittingly becomes the most sought-after person in the country as, in true Robin Hood style, she distributes her wealth to the masses.

With only her terrier pup, Fizz, for company, Molly embarks on the journey of her life, crossing the country in her trusty – or should that be ‘rusty’? – yellow Beetle. But with Tom Mackenzie hot on her heels and the nation on the look-out for her, Molly must outwit them all if she’s to achieve her grand finale."


Thank you to Victoria Connelly for offering a free copy of Molly's Millions for a short period of time as we started lockdown due to COVID-19.  I jumped at the opportunity as I was drawn in by the description of the book and I knew lockdown was going to be a good chance for me to get back into reading.

Most of us have probably dreamed of winning the lottery -  what would you do if you won £4.2mn?  I can't imagine many of us would embark on a selfless journey (no pun intended as this journey for Molly was literally carried out on a road trip across the country) to give away a large amount of the new found fortune.  But this is exactly what Molly does.

I was hooked right from the start with wonderful characters.  Some are warm and loving and some you dislike instantly.  The storyline is so fantastically intertwined so you really feel like you learn something about all the characters, even though the focus is on the main ones throughout.

The storyline covers both historical and current relationships and brings more depth to the characters.  The writing is wonderfully descriptive which makes this a story which is easy to visualise with all the different settings.

I wouldn't say it is completely unpredictable, I could see a couple of things coming down the track but it was an extremely enjoyable journey.  Whilst complying with our current social distancing guidelines, I read more than half of this book in the sunshine in the garden last weekend.  Devoured in a matter of hours which is a sign of a good read.

I know a book is good when it leaves me wanting more and I definitely wanted to see more of Molly, Tom, Flora and Fizz.

A really warm-hearted and feel-good story and we all need some feel-good in our lives right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! Leave me a comment here: