Friday 16 December 2011

Review of Home for Christmas by Cally Taylor

** What’s it about **

Beth Prince has always loved fairytales and now, aged twenty-four, she feels like she's finally on the verge of her own happily ever after. She lives by the seaside, works in the Picturebox - a charming but rundown independent cinema - and has a boyfriend who's so debonair and charming she can't believe her luck!

There's just one problem - none of her boyfriends have ever told her they love her and it doesn't look like Aiden's going to say it any time soon. Desperate to hear 'I love you' for the first time Beth takes matters into her own hands - and instantly wishes she hadn't.

Just when it seems like her luck can't get any worse, bad news arrives in the devilishly handsome shape of Matt Jones. Matt is the regional director of a multiplex cinema and he's determined to get his hands on the Picturebox by Christmas. Can Beth keep her job, her man and her home or is her romantic-comedy life about to turn into a disaster movie?



** What I thought **

This book has alternating chapters which tell Beth and Matts’ story.  I really enjoyed being able to read different perspectives, sometimes of the same event.  Beth is both ambitious and looking for her happy-ever-after.  Matt is trying not to be a dick.  Can they help each other on their quests?

Cally Taylor is a fantastic writer – very witty, she had me giggling all the way through!  There are some real gems buried in this book!  Taylor does a fantastic job at creating 3D characters who you’ll either love or utterly detest (in particular Carl, god I really disliked him!!)

I also loved the independent cinema aspect of this book; Beth works at the Picturebox which is being sought by a massive chain who plan to rip it apart.  There was something so real and genuine about this, and the whole story that drew me in.

I found it very hard to put this book down.  I have to admit, I guessed the ending fairly early on but this didn’t stop me turning the last page wanting more!  Despite the Christmas cover and title – this book could be read anytime!

1 comment:

I'd love to hear what you think! Leave me a comment here: