Sunday 29 June 2014

To Catch a Butterfly by T.M. Payne

This was a book that was free from the amazon eBook Kindle store, featuring, at the time, in the "top 100 free books".  Not knowing anything about the book, or the author, I probably wouldn't have read it had I had to pay for the book, but the synopsis caught my eye so I thought I would give it a try.


"Stevie Buchanan's family has a secret. 

Catherine Stone has a secret. 

Stevie knows nothing. Catherine knows everything. 

Set between Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, this is the story of an innocent life thrown into the deep. 

When their worlds collide and the real truth is laid bare, no one could have imagined how very dark the secret really is. 

As Stevie grows from a curious little girl into a strong young woman, the secret is revealed. And so her journey begins. A journey that takes her to Catherine's door."



I was captivated by the dramatic start to the book, following which the book immediately jumps forward, leaving you totally clueless about the situation you have just witnessed.  Once the book jumped forward, I found it didn't hold my interest as well.  It jumped between characters, and between locations, and I couldn't keep track of who was who or how the characters were linked to each other.

The author does well to make you love Stevie, and there are some really difficult scenes in the book that made me hold my breath as I read.

I felt more involved in the narrative once the story began to really unravel and the main thread begins to tie in with that amazingly gripping first chapter.  The outcome wasn't at all what I imagined, so in my opinion, not predictable.

A good read, but it does have its flaws.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! Leave me a comment here: