Saturday 25 January 2014

Welcome Caller, This is Chloe by Shelley Coriell

This book has been in my To Read pile for a shamefully long time.  I finally got round to reading it, and found myself wondering why I hadn't left it on the bookcase. Honestly, I hated Chloe to start with. So much so that if I hadn't have been stuck on a train with nothing else to do I probably would have stopped reading. She was shallow, selfish and ridiculously irritating. 

BUT as Chloe's life is turned upside down, as a reader, you begin to see another side to her. She is plunged into a different side of her high school bubble, and forced into a group of people she didn't even know existed before. Don't get me wrong, Chloe remains mildly irritating but kind of loveable at the same time.

I ended up really enjoying Chloe's journey and her interactions with Dragon Clem really did make me smile.  The KDRS family are unique and fit perfectly together. And Duncan, ahh Duncan.....read it to find out about him.

There are some serious themes running through this high school based young adult book; namely Parkinson's disease and drug abuse. However, they don't cloud the book, but are interwoven perfectly to create a truly heartwarming story. 

Highly recommended as a YA read, and even for adults. I personally didn't find this predictable like a lot of chick lit these days, I didn't even find myself trying to guess the story as I was so hooked on the page at hand, that I just kept turning page by page until I turned the last page with a smile of my face. A perfectly paced book, with a satisfying ending.  There are some simple, yet effective and important, life lessons which can be learnt from this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! Leave me a comment here: