Sunday 29 January 2012

Review of The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Thank you to Headline Publicity for the copy of this book to review!!

** What it's about **

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Imagine if she hadn't forgotten the book. Or if there hadn't been traffic on the expressway. Or if she hadn't fumbled the coins for the toll. What if she'd run just that little bit faster and caught the flight she was supposed to be on. Would it have been something else - the weather over the Atlantic or a fault with the plane? 

Hadley isn't sure if she believes in destiny or fate but, on what is potentially the worst day of each of their lives, it's the quirks of timing and chance events that mean Hadley meets Oliver...

Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.



** What I thought **


The statistical probability of you putting this book down once you've started is very very low.  Clear your schedule....

This book is incredibly easy to read, it’s kind of captivating and I found myself reading and reading until I’d turned the last page.  I’ve always been a believer in fate and destiny and this book takes that simple premise and turns it into a love story.  It makes you think, when you run back into the house to grab something you’ve forgotten, what difference will those few minutes make to your life? It could, after all, be life-changing.

It’s lovely to watch as the relationship between Hadley and Oliver develops.  I found myself smiling to myself at the closeness and instant chemistry that they both felt and it reminded me that every once in a while you stumble across someone who feels such a natural part of your life despite having known them only a few minutes or hours.  It might be predictable but it's without being cliched - it follows a natural progression which allows the reader to believe every word.

Whilst there aren’t any massive shockers, no cliff-hangers, this isn’t just a love story; it also focuses on Hadley’s relationship with her father.  This added a lovely depth to the book and was another thing I could relate to.  I felt the whole plotline was developed well considering the length of the book (only 215 pages of fairly big text!).

This book is set over a very short 24 hours and it makes for a gorgeously easy read, perfect for any occasion; a night in on the sofa, curled up in front of the fire, on the train or maybe on a plane.  Saying that, the feelings are intense, and watching them develop is wonderful.  This book is a bit like a bar of chocolate; it won’t last that long, but you’ll enjoy it very much whilst it lasts!  I, for one, would love to see a follow up to this – but that’s because I’m greedy and I want to know more!!

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't sure about whether or not to read this one but following your review I think I'll add it to my wishlist for when I've got some spare pennies.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! Leave me a comment here: