Monday 31 October 2011

Review of Darkside by Belinda Bauer

Thanks to @BenWillisUK for the copy of Darkside!

** What is it about? **

“It is freezing mid-winter on Exmoor, and in a close-knit community where no stranger goes unnoticed, a local woman has been found murdered in her bed. This is local policeman Jonas Holly's first murder investigation. But he is distracted by anonymous letters, accusing him of failing to do his job.

Taunted by the killer and sidelined by his abrasive senior detective, Jonas has no choice but to strike out alone on a terrifying hunt . . . but who is hunting who?”



** What I thought **

I really liked this book in general.  Bauer provides us with some wonderful background and fantastic characterisation that makes this gripping and packed full of suspense.

However, my one downside would be that I felt the ending was rushed and it was out sprung upon you.  The ending had crossed my mind.  I think this is because I was constantly looking for the most unusual twist, and in combination with the title, made me consider the ending. But I didn’t know it was true until I got to that point in the book. It was very nice for the clues not to be too obvious but I think this meant that the ending was a bit abrupt and dramatic in comparison with the rest of the book.  The rest of book is so carefully thought through and crafted, it is full or suspense and it is gripping, however, the ending just felt a little detached, as though it was just popped on the end. It just wasn’t quite right.

Yet despite this, I think it is definitely worth reading and I would certainly read more of Bauer’s books – I think this showed great potential and I really enjoyed it besides the slightly abrupt ending.  Bauer’s writing is gripping and draws you in right from the start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! Leave me a comment here: