Saturday 7 March 2015

Deja Vu by Susan Giles


"Catherine is celebrating her thirtieth birthday when her life takes a turn for the worse; her rival Anna, a woman with loose morals, triggers a quarrel between Catherine and her partner Alexander. Following the party, Alexander sexually assaults Catherine, propelling her on a journey in search of a new beginning. 


Fleeing to Cornwall, Catherine experiences a rare feeling of déjà vu when she meets a fisherman named Christopher Armstrong. Prompted by this sentiment, she allows a relationship to begin, with the intention of it being platonic. Armstrong, however, has other ideas. As Catherine finds herself more attracted to the Cornish fisherman, she discovers that she still harbours feelings for her first love – a young fisherman called Christopher... Upon discovering that this modern-day Christopher is much less than the gentleman she initially thought he was, Catherine finds herself completely isolated – and in mortal danger... 

A traditional romance novel with a dramatic twist, Déjà Vu addresses the serious issue of rape within a relationship."


I have found it difficult to write this book review, and I think that is because I did not have any particularly overwhelming feelings about this book.  I didn't fall in love with any character and I didn't fall in love with any of the locations either.  However, I didn't hate it either. 

It did not grip me in the way that I had imagined and I found it to be a little meandering without any major impacts from the storyline; I did not encounter any twists or turns that particularly shocked me.  There were no sub-plots to speak of and I think I could count the number of major points in the storyline on one hand.  The main characters were a bit two-dimensional and the sex scenes, whilst 'explicit' were not, in my opinion, particularly shocking.  I have not read 50 Shades of Grey but I cannot imagine it is any 'worse' than that.

That said, the writing was good and I read the entire book but I did not feel emotionally invested.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! Leave me a comment here: