Tuesday 31 January 2012

Review of Save Me by Lisa Scottoline

Thank you to Hannah from Ebury for the review copy of Save Me.

** What it's about **

You always put your own child first, don't you?

When an explosion rips through her daughter's school, Rose McKenna faces a horrifying choice.  Does she go in search of her daughter, or save the children nearest to her first, one of whom is the bully who has been making her daughter's life a misery?

It's a split-second decision which will cost on girl dearly and will see Rose's life transformed forever...



** What I thought **

Having read the synopsis for this book, I was looking forward to reading it, however I’m sorry to say that I was slightly disappointed by it.  It just wasn’t at all what I was expecting.  Lisa Scottoline doesn’t hang about and the drama of this book starts early on.  Once the dramatic school fire had occurred, I was left wondering what on earth was going to happen in the rest of the book.  About half way through, this drama turns into a murder mystery and I just couldn’t quite get my head around the whole thing.  It was all a bit far-fetched (which usually I can deal with but apparently not this time).

I found that there was a fair amount of repetition within the writing, and unfortunately this didn’t add anything for me, I just found it vaguely annoying.  I have to admit I didn’t warm to the main character, Rose McKenna, as I’d have liked to, but I did love her little girl Melly.  The last few chapters are my favourite part of the book (and I don’t mean that in a mean “because it was finally ending” way); they’re heart-warming and brought tears to my eyes.

I really hate it when I dislike a book, and whilst I didn’t hate it, it just didn’t do it for me.  I’ve seen other reviews from people who loved it, so don’t rule it out just yet….take a look and see what you think.

Save Me is Lisa Scottoline’s seventeenth novel (!!!!) which will be released on 15th March 2012, published by Ebury Press.  You can follow Lisa on twitter @LisaScottoline or find out more about her at www.lisascottoline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! Leave me a comment here: